1962 Johnson Fisherman (5.5) questions…(2)

Home Forum Ask A Member 1962 Johnson Fisherman (5.5) questions…(2)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• amuller

Replies: 1055
    Topics: 163

This thing is almost ready to run…..

The steering friction ("copilot" I think OMC calls it) is almost nil even with the screw tightened down. Is there something needing replacement in there?

The thermostat is stuck open. That seems usual in my limited experience for an outboard tst. Has anyone ever found a way to free these up?

I intend to use this motor. Anybody think it worthwhile to install a kill/deadman switch? There is room for one on the left side of the panel but I’m not sure of the best way to bring wires out of the mag plate….

wedgie

Replies: 1037
    Topics: 78

Are #59 and #58 present and accounted for? Hard to see without taking it apart.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … Unit+Group

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4732
    Topics: 46

In order to repair that steering friction/copilot, you would have to pull the powerhead, and disconnect the rubber mounts (they would likely break), in order to get that steering handle out and get at the steering friction pieces. So, I would not bother, at least until the next you pull the powerhead for a water pump job. Are you sure the friction screw isn’t just stiff/froze up?
    Don’t mess with that thermostat, you will not have any success, just replace it, along with its gaskets.
    And no, I would not attempt to install a kill/safety switch on that engine. You would have to bore little holes in the mag plate, and carefully run leads down to a switch mounted on the pan. Chances are pretty good these external leads will get chafed/broken and cause ignition problems.

amuller

quote Wedgie:

Don’t really know, I looked at the same breakdown, but I see no indication that the motor has been apart at that point. tightening the screw until the spring is solid doesn’t do much. I could try a longer screw…..

amuller

quote fleetwin:

In order to repair that steering friction/copilot, you would have to pull the powerhead, and disconnect the rubber mounts (they would likely break), in order to get that steering handle out and get at the steering friction pieces. So, I would not bother, at least until the next you pull the powerhead for a water pump job.

I just put the powerhead back on and am not inclined to take it back off…..

Are you sure the friction screw isn’t just stiff/froze up?

Yes, it just doesn’t do anything. I can try a longer screw. I don’t like having the helm so free that it would probably slam full over if let go…..

Don’t mess with that thermostat, you will not have any success, just replace it, along with its gaskets.
    And no, I would not attempt to install a kill/safety switch on that engine. You would have to bore little holes in the mag plate, and carefully run leads down to a switch mounted on the pan. Chances are pretty good these external leads will get chafed/broken and cause ignition problems.

Yes, the tricky part would be bringing out the two wires. I know OMC had kill switches on motors with these mags, so it should be doable.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51
    quote amuller:

quote Wedgie:

Don’t really know, I looked at the same breakdown, but I see no indication that the motor has been apart at that point. tightening the screw until the spring is solid doesn’t do much. I could try a longer screw…..

Yep, the rubber spacer gets mushed. Use a longer screw.

amuller

quote FrankR:

quote amuller:

quote Wedgie:

Yep, the rubber spacer gets mushed. Use a longer screw.

I did. It worked.

By the way, the thermostat housing cover has unused passages, and a blank pad that looks intended for a hose fitting. On motors that used it, what was it for? Just curious….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.