Home Forum Ask A Member Black Mercury Outboard Paint

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mrb
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What is a good paint for the older mercury outboard I have used rattle cans before they look nice but if you get gas on it it melts
      The mercury outboard paint goes on so thin and scrapes so easy. Looking for something that doesn’t melt when you spill gas on it Thanks

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

They have what is called 2 stage paint which is base coat/clear coat. You use hardener with the clear on that, the other the hardener mixes with the paint and you do not use a clear coat. Either option help prevent the fuel from ruining your wonderful paint efforts.

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

pm-t2
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Most rust enamels will stand up to gasoline. I use Armor Coat brand rust enamel on all my engines and it does not give in to gas spills, the only things that will soften & damage it to the point of removal are lacquer thinner, brake fluid, or aggressive cleaners (i.e. Castrol Super Clean).

Hope this helps.

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

I use mercury quicksilver phantom black.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

mercury phantom black always worked for me in my dark side days . I think the problem is you are spilling to much gas 😮
              ..not the paint 😉

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Pete
              Participant

US Member

I use these rattle cans, dries hard and durable with great spray pattern nozzle; some colors available in gloss, semi gloss and flat. I use the gloss black on the Merc gas doesn’t bother it (I use E free fuel) and flat black on the hydro water contact area and wet sand with 400 grit – really tuff stuff and stays put at high speeds. Most colors available at Home Depot and Lowe’s for $5.50 a 15 oz can, some colors 14 oz can. Other colors available as listed. Lasts for years on the shelf just clean the nozzle after use.

Top coats:
                http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalo … mel-spray/

If not using their primer test on your primer or base coat for top coat compatibility.

Primer:
                http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalo … mer-spray/

Have used costlier Merc phantom black but the Rustoleum has proven great for my uses at less than 1/2 the cost.

wiscoboater
                Participant

VHT gloss black engine enamel available at any auto parts supply store works fantastic. Has a really nice spray pattern nozzle as well. It even puts up with the ethanol crap gas.

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

I keep reminding people that the Ethanol in our "crap gas" is a lacquer solvent. It has been used in racing fuels since the dawn of racing because it furnishes some of the oxygen used in combustion. As a result, no antique racers that have been raced have any factory paint or decals left on the fuel tank. Ethanol is used because, by it’s oxygen contribution, it gives a 20% boost in power, but using it also uses 10% more fuel. . . 😆

mrb
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ihanks Everybody for your Input Mark

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.