Home Forum Ask A Member 3 old outboards and no idea what to do with them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    brooksdg
    Participant

So I stumbled across this forum researching some old outboards my parents have had at their place for years. Mom now wants them gone. I know little about these motors to be honest. They were my grandfathers and were moved to my parents many moons ago and have been stored indoors. I’ve actually never seen them used, as we never had a boat small enough for them when I was growing up.

here is what I know about the motors from taking some pics and doing a google search. I was lookning for S/N but I’m not sure where to look on them. A couple of the #s I found didn’t match to anything. From oldest to youngest
      * Martin "60" – Guessing a 60C from 46-48. Found another site that the carb # and control knob info matched.
      * Scott 3.6 with McCullogh flying bird sticker – Haven’t found much on this one.
      * Chrysler 6HP – there was an ID tag on this one that listed it as 62HB (*71) model. I’m not sure this one was ever put into use. the crank and starter gears little to no wear on them and when I popped the cover I was surprised how clean it was.

I’ve not started them but have slowly pulled the cord and both spin freely and aren’t seized. I guess I’m trying to figure out if there would be any interest in them or if they should just be scrapped. Here are some pics of each, any additional info on them would be appreciated.

Attachments:

brooksdg
      Participant

The Scott

Attachments:

brooksdg
        Participant

Chrysler

Attachments:

ausob-collector
          Participant

Hello there and welcome to the forum!

You have three very nice motors there, all in quite nice condition under the dirt. As they are all nice motors, I would strongly advise against scrapping them. They may not be worth as much as you may think but if you do want to sell them I would recommend maybe taking them along to a meet held by the closest AOMCI chapter. There you should be able to stir up some interest and end up with a buyer. I can vouch for everyone and say that if you do sell your motors to an AOMCI member, you can rest assured that they will be preserved and taken care of and not just thought of as ‘an old outboard that’s good for nothing’.

I think that out of your three motors, the Chrysler would probably be the most common one. Finding a Martin with the original manual I believe is something that doesn’t happen every day, and unfortunately I can’t say anything for sure about the Scott. Price wise, it’s hard to value something without actually seeing it, but I wouldn’t say that any of these motors are high up on the rarity scale as quite a few were made over their production runs.

You could always just keep the motors for yourself and get them running and use them on a boat – if you need any help or have any queries i’m sure someone here should be able to help you.

Hope this helps

Cheers
            BP

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Where are you located? I’m sure we can find some interested members in your area.

bigrichsoldoutboard
              Participant

US Member

If you live by the NJ area I’m having a swap meet this Sat your welcome to bring them there and sell them go to the Events page of the AOMCI for more information an directions. Thanks Big Rich

brooksdg
                Participant

I’m in MD and NoVA area. I’d probably do the meet if I didn’t have Saturday already locked up.

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Too bad you aren’t closer to SE MI. I’d be interested in all three of them. Don’t scrap them. There is plenty of interest.
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

We avoid the term "scrap" around here. We are about restoration and preservation. OK, a junker might be parted out, but those aren’t junkers.

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member

You could post them for sale in a free ad here on our Webtervise Board and/or post on your local Craigslist. At the right price, they will sell. I’ve bought motors on Craigslist where the seller had no idea what they were worth and dropped the price $10/week until they sold. Another thought – some high schools teach small engines in shop classes. Often they accept donations and the classes learn from them. You don’t get money, but they are then tax deductible and you are helping out some kids! Some schools will take them, fix them up, and give them back , all for free, or for cost of parts.
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.