Home Forum Ask A Member Earliest Evinrude twin with a gear shift?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    paulfromyork
    Participant

I have a line on an old Evinrude. The tiller does not appear to have throttle on it, but there is clearly seen a shift lever on the side of the motor. So what year might this be? harrisburg.craigslist.org/boa/5832260824.html

paulfromyork
      Participant

Hey, I’m sorry. It looks like it DOES have a throttle on the tiller!

Mumbles
        Participant

The motor in question is a manual start 25 horse 1955 Evinrude Big Twin. The throttle grip on the tiller handle is missing but it can be easily replaced.

Attachments:

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Yep, and not "Earliest" at all.

paulfromyork
            Participant

So what might this thing be worth, say at a swap meet? I really want a 10 or 15 HP OMC. What think ye? In other words what should the offer be? How much is too much?

Mumbles
              Participant

It’s hard to say what it’s worth but if you can’t see it running, it’s classed as a parts motor. In some parts of the country they are worth more than others.

For one example, I picked up a non-running ’55 Big Twin with electric start for $20 and the guy even helped me load it into my truck. The cylinders had been bored 0.020" at one time and it is currently undergoing a full restoration. Your mileage may vary. ☺

chris-p
                Participant

My opinion, tops I would pay 50 bucks for a motor like that. No way that thing is in running condition! lol Youll have to expect to put a couple hundred bucks into her, to get her up to snuff.

1946zephyr
                  Participant

I actually have one of those and a ’53 and a ’57. Looks like you got a barn find there. A good tune up and I bet it’ll run.
                    A lot of folks here will agree that is the best way to find these old motors. 😀 😀

20mercman
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Are you looking at just the motor or are you thinking of the Alumacraft FD also. The FD is a very good boat. The price for a package would really be the boat, and the motor would be thrown in with the deal. I would guess that certainly in the $600 range would not be out of the question.

Steve

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/boa/5832260824.html

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

The earliest Evinrude with a gearshift was the 1950 fourteen horsepower Fasten. It was a souped up ’49 twelve horse Elto powerhead on a ’49 Johnson lower unit. A rush job to blunt the sales of Mercury’s Super ten.

I still have my 1955 Evinrude Big Twin. There was a service bulletin in late 1955 saying to enlarge the quarter inch drain hole in the lower front motor cove (under the carburetor) to an inch and a half. The original super quiet "Aquaponic" design was to restrictive, cutting back on the horse power, . . 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.