Home Forum Ask A Member 1947 Evinrude Sportsman – Fuel Filter

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lindy46
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

My Sportsman, model #4416, has a filter in the intake of the carb, but I don’t see that they included any filter in the tank. My problem is the petcock plugs up pretty easily, even with filtered gas. I did have to seal the inside of the tank with POR 15 – don’t know if that stuff is sloughing off and causing the problem. I’m wondering if a tank filter from a later model 3hp motor would work, and whether it would even screw into the Sportsman tank. Anybody try this?

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

The owners manual recommends filling the fuel tank with a filter equipped funnel to keep water and trash out. Few bother, resulting in the short tubular 1000 mesh filter in the screw in brass hex head 133487 plug in the base of the float bowl rapidly plugging with trash. Frequent cleaning is hard on the 170945 (no longer available) plug gasket. Many have found that compensating for a worn out gasket by increasingly tightening the filter retainer only results in a broken carburator. The tank filter was supposed to cure that. Unfortunately it is treated just like the filtered funnel. Many (who file the instruction manual in the kitchen junk drawer and forget about it) don’t even know it’s their. It plugs from the bottom up. You know it’s a problem when you run out of gas with the tank half full. Of course when the owner cleans the tank by putting in a cleaning solvent with a handful of nuts & bolts and shakes it vigorously, the problem goes away – because they have dumped out the beat up filter with the nuts and bolts. The answer is then to cut the line and put in a clear plastic filter so you can see what dirty fuel they are selling you at your corner "service" station. . . 😀

lindy46
        Participant

I’m getting clogging in the petcock itself. The aperture is so narrow, it doesn’t take much to clog it. That’s why I was wondering if an in-tank filter from a ’50’s model 3hp would fit in the tank?

amuller
          Participant

If it were mine I’d improvise a screen on the tank outlet (petcock), or use something from a lawn mower tank. Without a screen, even a tiny piece of leaf, or paint, or rust, can settle over the passage and block the flow.

lindy46
            Participant

Went ahead and ordered an NOS 277187 filter from a later model 3hp. Don’t know if it will fit directly, so may need to do some modifications. Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

lindy46
              Participant

Well, just an FYI – the 277187 tank filter from a later model 3hp doesn’t come close to fitting the 1947 Sportsman. So I guess I’ll just have to be careful about filtering the gas going into the tank.

Mumbles
                Participant

Here’s a broken screen from inside a ’48 Sportsman tank. It’s not much bigger in diameter than the 1/8" vent tube beside it. When it got replaced, I used epoxy to hold the new screen together. For an inline filter, can you install a small one meant for bikes or lawn mowers?

Attachments:

lindy46
                  Participant

Yeah, the opening is pretty small – about 1/4" in the 1947. In 1947 there was no tank screen and they just relied on the strainer screen in the carb. My strainer screen (in the carb) is clean, so I’ll just have to be careful to screen the gas going into the tank.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.