Home Forum Ask A Member 1928 Johnson "race" motor Re: 1928 Johnson "race" motor

Anonymous

So I went to look at the motor today and it looks to be pretty decent. Tanks dented as can be expected and the serial number on the case matches the sheave. I was going to check compression but the plug is what I’ll call a standard size auto plug and my compression tester was too small. I turned the motor over with the flywheel and my non-expert impression is that the compression is low. I also pulled the plugs and put my thumb over the holes while someone pulled it over and again I felt that it might not be up to where it should be. However I was told by my friends friend that the owner did have it running. For comparison there was a ’45 Neptune 15B4 there that seemed to have better compression when I rotated the flywheel.

I asked him what he wanted and he said make an offer. Again he brought up the motor that sold for close to $800 which was in Florida. I told him that motors on the east coast or up north can bring more money since the collector base is higher than in Nebraska. I feel this is a valid statement and he accepted it. I got the impression that the owner is thinking in the area of $500 but don’t take this to the bank.

So, here are some pics that I took for your viewing pleasure.

Kirk