Home Forum Ask A Member Surging helped by pumping primer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    steeleman
    Participant

My 63 QD-24 will surge after about 15 sec at wide open throttle. If I keep a steady pump to the primer bulb, it will smooth back out.

I am replacing the line between the pump and the sediment bulb, but otherwise I can’t figure what it would be. Gas tank line is new, has new connections on it. All other lines are good, but this one was a little rotten. Maybe was getting a little air at WOT.

Thoughts?

Mumbles
      Participant

If the fuel pump is the original one, it could be getting tired after 53 years of service. The old fuel lines can and do crack with age allowing air into the system. It’s probably a good idea to change them all and clean or replace the filter bag and bowl seal to.

At the other end, the pickup screen in the tank can get clogged to. It definitely sounds like a fuel restriction or air leak problem.

amuller
        Participant

That sort of surge usually indicates fuel starvation.

I recently had this happen, out on the river, with a fuel line set I’d made up with new hose and connectors and primer bulb. Fortunately I had another line setup, and swapping it solved the problem. I haven’t diagnosed it yet, but some have reported problems with cheap aftermarket fuel connectors.
          Are the male connectors on the motor and the tank smooth?

Maybe try another tank. The OMC tanks work well, but have various little valves and seals that can act up.

Opinions vary on this, but I think it can be a good idea to use a section of vinyl fuel hose, or even, temporarily, regular clear vinyl hose. This is the best way to see if air is being sucked in somewhere. And people are reporting so much trouble with rubber fuel lines that maybe the vinyl is worth another look…..

If none of this works, open fuel pump and check for hard or leaking diaphragm.

steeleman
          Participant

It does have a clear line from the sediment bulb to the bowl. But I didn’t think to watch it when I was on the lake:/

PugetSoundBoater
            Participant

I had the issue of leaking aftermarket fuel line connectors mentioned by amuller. I only get the BRP ones now. The cheap ones leaked ,don’t seal right and get a air leak. He made a good point on the condition of the male part of the tank and motor connector, if they are not real smooth , the o ring could get buggered up , causing the leak. I carry 2 tank lines and a new fuel line connectors when boating.
              This is an outboard motor club, not a rowing club 😀

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
              Robbie Robertson

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

don’t forget that inline mesh filter on the engine, if it is still in place…

jerry-ahrens
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Agreed on the fuel connectors…. if they are aftermarket, replace them with dealer supplied OEM. You will be doing yourself a favor! The newer BRP [OMC] connectors have yellow ends on them around the o ring area.
                  Use of the clear hose to diagnose air in the system, as amuller has described, is a good troubleshooting technique. Or you may just need a fuel pump kit after all those decades of service, probably should be done for reliability anyway.
                  Are you using one of the new plastic fuel tanks without a vent?

steeleman
                  Participant

I am using the original tank, 6 Gallon. Has the connector on the tank side and at the engine. I will get some better connectors to try. Where can I get a fuel pump kit from?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.