Home Forum Ask A Member Seagull carb removal…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    burt
    Participant

Picked up a 74 Silver Century Plus with shifter a little over a year ago. It’s been lurking in a corner of my shop and I finally got around to it a couple of weeks ago as a late-winter shop project. Looks pretty good. Everything spins, has compression and spark, fairly clean tank and fuel line, but the cable from the thumb throttle on the tiller to the carb acts stiff…so I need to remove the carb for a good cleaning. Found a video online for this, BUT nothing I see online shows/tells me how the carb attaches to the crankcase. The connection is round with a keeper clamp on the outside, but does the carb body thread onto the crankcase fitting…or does it just snug on there? And lastly friends, any tips on removing and cleaning such…especially freeing up a stiff cable? Don’t want to mess anything up, hence the questions…got a rope sheave/flywheel cover on order from the UK. It should be a fun project. Thanks in advance.

kees
      Participant

International Member - 2 Years

try this , maybe you find… photos , pictures and more
        http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/phpbb3/
        good luck

auldscott
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Loosen the clamp and gently turn and pull. The carburetor just slides onto a smooth surfaced pipe stub.

Can’t tell what is wrong with your cable from here, but try suspending it from one end and get penetrating oil down into it, a few drops at a time, until the oil comes out the other end. Work it back and forth until the cable moves smoothly, then get lube oil into it.

The fasteners are Whitworth. Most of the time you can use SAE or metric but you can also get a set of tools from SavingOldSeagulls.

I have a service manual that I can lend you. PM me your address.

I can also answer simple questions on your motor. My 1971 Silver Century Plus is great fun to run.

auldscott

burt
          Participant

Thanks. That’s a good link but doesn’t show any carb stuff. Got the carb body off the crankcase and the thumb throttle assembly off the tiller. Separated the float bowl from the throttle body piece, but can’t figure out how to get the cable end and spring off the throttle body…the top screws on and off but the spring and cable are trapped down inside. I think the cable is okay…it will slide with the thumb throttle assembly disconnected from the other end of the cable. How do you disengage the cable and spring from down inside the throttle body…looks like that is necessary to get to the jets and throttle butterfly?…if there is one, can’t really tell from the limited vantage point of looking down inside around the cable and spring. It’s an Amal carb if that makes any difference…I think there is also a Villers? on other models.

nabmd
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Art DeKalb has a lot of experience with British Seagulls; try him at adekalb@precisionservoutboard.com

burt
              Participant

Found these numbers on the carb: 46NL 3A. Kept some penetrating oil in the throttle body bore and the throttle slide (???) eventually came out. Cleaned and re-installed that and now the throttle cable/knob moves freely. Also cleaned the jets in the bottom of the throttle body bore. Now I need to go through the gas tank again and make sure it is real clean…might get thing in a barrel in a week or so. Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.