Home Forum Ask A Member ’68 McCulloch Gearcase Diagram Needed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Todays challenge is the gearcase on a ’68 Sears (Ted Williams) Lo-Profile 9 horse motor built by McCulloch.

The gearcase was full of water and rust is starting on the parts. The reverse gear is contained in a cage of some kind and has the detents built into it. Some spacers or thrust washers and a spring fell out of the case and I’m not sure where they go. I don’t have any diagrams of this model so if anyone could post one, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have an PDF service manual, which you are welcome to, but it doesn’t seem to mention the parts as you describe. Maybe it only covers older models.

Mumbles
        Participant

Thanks Frank. I do have a Sears (Glenn’s) manual but it doesn’t show this particular design. I’ll get some photos of the parts and maybe that will help.

Attachments:

frankr
          Participant

That’s the same manual I have. Not much help

Mumbles
            Participant

Here’s the gears. You can see the detents on one of the pins which is part of the bearing housing. This slides into the cage thingy which is holding the reverse gear. This design is new to me and I don’t see where the spring and brass washer go yet.

Attachments:

ray-schaber
              Participant

Mumbles I have these 2 pdf scans that may help.

Attachments:

Mumbles
                Participant

Thanks Ray, the second one is what I have! 😀

I still don’t see where the spring goes so it might have been left in by another person working on it. The impellers caught my eye. The bailer one has been cut down and made to fit from something. The bailer didn’t work when I had the motor running but then I found the tube to the pump was full of mud wasp nests. This motor has ben worked on and may be full of surprises1

retiredoz
                  Participant

Check your email. I may have some extra usable impellers you can have if you’re going to run this on your leaky boat…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.