Home Forum Ask A Member Motor stand preservation tips requested

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    roj115
    Participant

I just managed to secure a deal on a very cool and very rusty old Johnson outboard stand which I plan to use for displaying my ’37 Water Witch in the living room of my cabin. While the stand has lots of patina and character, the problem is that it’s quite rusty and some of the paint is peeling and flaking off in places. I’m wondering what would be the best way of halting the decay of this piece and preventing any further flaking of the paint and also preventing the light colored carpet it will be sitting on from getting rust stains on it.

I was thinking maybe spraying it over with a can of flat or satin (i.e. not glossy) clear-coat so as to "seal" the existing patina and remaining paint in place. Is this a good idea? If yes, any recommendations on a specific product to use?

If not a good idea, or the best solution, what would you recommend I do to preserve this piece and protect my carpet from rust stains?

Thanks,

Roger

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

as far as the rug goes I would put a piece of rug or a plastic under the stand to protect the rug . just a thought.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

If you want to preserve the patina and character, don’t spray anything over it. It is only original once. Well, possibly some WD-40 or something similar. Just my opinion.

roj115
          Participant

Here is a pic of the base of the stand. The environment at the cabin is pretty damp, especially over the winter when everything is shut down. As you can see, the base is deteriorating and I’m afraid that if I don’t do something, it will rot away and just disintegrate completely. I’m all for leaving things original but in this case I think doing so might lead to the demise of the piece so I need to find some way of halting the disintegration or at least slowing it down as much as possible.

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member

how about a light coat of cosmoline or grease.

thumper
              Participant

The rust can’t be saved. The rat road community usually brushes off the rust and then clear coats it with a satin or flat clear to seal out oxygen and slow down the rust /oxidation process. Base on how far gone the base is you will lose most of the logo. I’ts really only hanging on by a thread .

stanley
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Go to a cabinet shop and buy a scrap piece of good grade 3/4"plywood (lumber core is best,not as likely to warp) get it a few inches bigger than stand all around.Stain and finish.Take a soft brush and clean as much loose stuff off the stand as you dare.Go ahead and spray the stand with fast drying clear acrylic.Very light coat to start.Make up some brackets to fasten stand to base and stabilize it.Rug will be safe and stand as stable as you can make it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.