Home Forum Ask A Member How do Atom Computer Ignition modules work? Re: How do Atom Computer Ignition modules work?

joesnuffy
Participant

I built my first working modules today with success.

I am in no way a electronics guru but I do have good soldering skills.

I will post the diagram no mosorb diode was used but I did use a .2 uf panansonic orange drop capacitor. available at digikey I will post part# P12106-ND (.2UF 5% 400vdc RADIAL)

Folks here use the orange drop capacitor to replace condensers and they give me outstanding results using my stevens 75 meter. Escpecially the leakage test they pass it instantly where a good OMC condenser takes 1 to 2 seconds to pass. I am hoping that will help keep my module alive.

The only difference in the module wiring diagram I am posting is I used a .2uf Orange drop capacitor from digikey not the .47uf capacitor.

I was using a BD649 transistor. After contacting Debe he told me they don’t hold up but I had 10 on hand because I had looked at wrong diagram posted in that thread to use them. I have since ordered the correct transistor the 2SD1071 which I will be using next but I thought I would give them a whirl since I had them.

As luck would have it I ordered the wrong capacitor for the build I ordered a .0056uf 50Volt Ceramic capacitor. The correct capacitor was suppose to be a .47uf again I am not a electronics guru.

The .0056uf capacitor was giving me spark I paired 3 together and they did also. I decided to do something after measuring the 3 paired .0056 uf capacitors with my Stevens 75 tester and they barely brought the needle up. I decided to try a Orange Drop Panasonic .2 uf capacitors basically thats is under half the value of .47uf It also worked and I got good fire on plugs. I thought well one thing I have learned here is that the capacitor is married to the type coil used. What I mean by that is that when people put a OMC coil on a Scott Atwater or a outboard it wasn’t suppose to go on folks use the condenser value that goes with the coil used. Just a fluke I would even try this since I ordered wrong capacitor. The 1952 3HP Johnson motor wound up like it should to WOT so the timing and hi-end rpms was not hindered.

I ran the engine for like 1.5 hours today. It was my uncles he purchased it New in 1952 he’d be 105 years old he died at 97 and I am sure he smiling in heaven right now he used it for duck hunting in Maryland along with his brother. It is my favorite motor.

It had the original coils and plug wires. I started engine and it ran fine for like 30 minutes then a cylinder dropped off like one stopped firing except with higher rpms. I changed the plug wires with new ones and that problem went away but module didn’t die which was my hopes. I am testing these and thought would use old plug wires and old coils to try and kill a module but they didn’t. I know the nova ii dies easily when using old omc coils and I suspect that’s why so I am in the testing mode not a finished deal by any means.

I ran it some more with good results with new plug wires and original coils and old spark plugs who knows how old they are but the plugs cleaned up nicely after running 1.5 hours (in a barrel) burning clean and dry. The motor runs smoother than I have ever got it to and slower I can move the speed knob past what I used to get for low speed. I have owned it like 25 years and can turn idle way down now past what it use to since I had it marked with sharpie. I can’t wait to try it on a boat 2 morrow.

The mosorb diode was not used on this test I have several on order. I am using the orange drop .2uf panasonic capacitor not a .47uf everything else is the same and hoping the BD649 doesn’t die. I will run it 2 morrow weather dependent wot for at least 2 hours and slow her down and idle speed for 2 hours for a combined 4 hours run time.

Thanks to all,

Joe

Attachments: