Home Forum Ask A Member I was told…special after market props for ’54 12hp Gale

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    paulfromyork
    Participant

I was told I might get "special" props for my "new"1954 12hp gale OBM. Now I’m new to OBM in general, so don’t assume I know anything! I have a 1949 ELTO 5hp Sportster running well, a 3hp Eska that sorta’ runs, and now the 12hp gale. I’m told it runs great. I also have a Sea Nymph clone (Sears) 12 ft tinny. A previously posted question indicates that a ’54 12hp Gale is not a high performance motor. Got it.
      But I found a post that says somebody learned to SKI behind a 12hp Gale! I don’t know the details. Maybe 10 yrs old and 12 inch wide skis, and say 75 lbs.? 😆 I don’t know.
      So are there any special props for a very mature "kid" to play with on this motor?
      I’ve also been told that matching a prop, boat and OBM is pretty much trial and error.

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

That "somebody" was me. I was 19 years old and 150 pounds. 195 pounds now (sigh). Skis were regular Cypress Gardens skis and I still have them. I just measured them and they are 6-1/2" wide.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

This is from our Michigan wheel database. This 12 horse Elto was built by the Gale Products Devision of OMC. It is an example and would not work on a gearshift motor. . . 😉

frankr
          Participant

A variety of optional props were offered for the 15-18hp in later years. They all will fit the 12hp Gale w/gearshift.

auldscott
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The 12 hp Gale should give you 22-23 mph on your boat. As to skiing behind it, when I was younger and slimmer (OK, 90 lb instead of 200) I skied behind a 7.5 but we didn’t try to do deep-water starts. It was all beach starts or dock starts. I’d say, try it from a dock with two skis, and use the old square-tail type. I’ve seen pics of two skiers behind a Merc 10 hp but no way they were pulled out of deep water.

olcah
              Participant

Waterskied behind a QD-14 10 HP. But besides lighter weight, back then you could ski with only one person in the boat. Now a second person is required to watch the skier.

1946zephyr
                Participant
                  quote FrankR:

A variety of optional props were offered for the 15-18hp in later years. They all will fit the 12hp Gale w/gearshift.

Just as Frank says. The full shift lower unit on these, is the same basic lower unit that was used on the QD and Fastwins 😀

paulfromyork
                  Participant

Guys, I doubt that I could still ski at all. At least not until I drop some weight. And I never did a beach or dock start. I only meant to say that this 12hp Gale must be something special. Common knowledge around here says you need 40 hp to pull a skier, but I suppose that is a deep water start. Now don’t get me wrong. I believe what you are saying is true. And I guess I’m not really interested in skiing anymore. I’m just an old "kid" who wants to play and go fast with my new toy.

mercuryman
                    Participant

Just tried out my new AJC 410 8 1/2 X 11 1/2 today, on my 1957 Sea King 12 hp and was I surprised . With standard prop I did
                      18 mph but today it went almost 25 MPH on smooth fresh water. Boat 11.5 foot plywood. That is the same speed I got with my Mercury KG4.

Attachments:

frankr
                      Participant

That is a very impressive report. Thanks for sharing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.