Re: what size prop should i try next???

Home Forum Ask A Member what size prop should i try next??? Re: what size prop should i try next???

rswanson

Replies: 7
Topics: 2

im not sure on exact weight. 17′ long, 65" wide on top at back, the floor is 46" wide at widest point. but it is alot heavier now then it started out. it was a side console, long transom boat. now its tiller steer and short transom (not my doin). its biggest down side is the aluminum floor somebody put in. its way too thick for a floor that covers the whole bottom. i took it off the trailer (empty) a few years ago, and it was a total pain to get back on. i wont be doing that again. i keep 12 rod & reels onboard, all the time (trollin for crappie up to 3 people), 20 gallon livewell, 12 adjustable rod holders, 2 batterys (29dc), 6 gallon fuel tank. 40lb thrust minn kota trolling motor 36" shaft, tiller steer. 2 swivel seats on poles with 3 different mounts on boat. bilge and livewell pumps. my 58′ evinrude 18hp (1 battery) only pushes it 17 mph at 4500 rpm with 2 people. 59′ 10hp johnson 11 mph at 4500 rpm, 56′ 5.5 johnson 7 mph at 4000. the last test with the 35hp, was 22 mph at 3950 with 2 people. so im hoping for at least 25mph at 4500 with the new prop, we’ll see next fishin trip. it takes around 15 mph to keep the boat on plane. it is definetly a heavy fishin boat. but i got it set up perfect for my kind of fishing. oh yea, some dummy put rhino liner stuff on the underside of it, and im sure that dont help mph. i jus about got all that junk sanded off.

we’ll test the new prop and see what rpm and mph we can get. then see if we need a different prop. i think the next up size will be a 10.750"x11" or a 10.375"x11.5" as someone mention earlier. i jus can’t believe it jumped 850-900 with a 2.5" pitch decrease. but we are leanin and theres nothin wrong with that. as long as we learn on the cheap and dont hurt anybody. thx, rick