Home Forum Ask A Member OMC Outboard Tank 5/16" Fuel Line Hose Re: OMC Outboard Tank 5/16" Fuel Line Hose

jerry-ahrens
Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

You at least need Coast Guard approved type A1 for above deck outboard fuel line. The new stuff (B15) has the internal vapor barrier lining. The new hose is a royal pain IMO, because the barrier lining can come loose and partially or completely obstruct fuel flow. If you don’t get Quicksilver or BRP hose, and decide to go to Wal Mart, for example, your’ throwing your money away! Some dealers stock and sell the new B15 hose in bulk, so I would go that route. As far as using the old black Gates or Dayco hose, it will work just fine,
    but lacks the A1 rating with regards to open flame (fire) resistance. My gripe with using the Gates black hose, is after it stays in the sun awhile, it leaves a nasty black coating on your hands.
    Having said all of that, I have had good luck with, and use the Quicksilver type (B15) silver colored hose. I have put it on a gazillion of my customers boats, year after year with no issues. I’ve replaced a truck load of Wal mart, Sierra (the worst IMO) and other aftermarket hoses with the Quicksilver stuff. Be sure your Quicksilver hose has the BLUE print on it. If you find some of the old hose with RED print, don’t use it! That stuff WILL fall apart on the inside, and cause major headaches. I’m not sure if i’ts the modern fuel that does this, or just the age of the hose? At any rate, it should be discarded and replaced.

Attachments: