Home Forum Ask A Member Gamefisher info please

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    popdude
    Participant

I have a Sears Gamefisher model 217-585810. It has a Tecumseh 7.5 power head. I’m finding conflicting info on the web. First, what is the correct spark plug. Second, correct plug gap. Third, what’s the correct points gap setting.
      On a side note, the lower unit has a water impeller. Is the power head actually water cooled or is it basically cooled from the top of the tower on down?
      Thanks for any replies.

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

It’s a ’78, according to my guide. Spark plug is RJ13Y @ .030. If you have a ‘type’ #, post it (typically a small tag attached to the carb) there may be some variance, but the catchall setting for the points is .020. If you have the dreaded ‘solid state’ ignition, no need to worry the points setting.
        The water pump is there to cool the exhaust, not the powerhead. Running without it will eventually stir-fry the lower crank case seal and bearing (it gets hot under there).

popdude
        Participant

Thanks retiredoz. No tag on the carb. ser# 7M-138465. There is an engine tag. 640148 TECUMSEH 7326. Carb part # 632077. The only other problem with it is the fuel tank. Riddled with small 1/8" and pin holes plus it’s quite dented up and very cruddy and rusted on the inside. I may end up cutting a portion of the fuel tank away in order to mount a small replacement fuel tank on it. I don’t really want to spend a lot on this thing. I already replaced the water pump impeller. I’m actually an exclusively Merc guy but I can see where someone could use something like this for occasional use as it’s quite light and very portable.

retiredoz
          Participant

I think the ‘640’ may be the ‘type’ id, so you should be good with points at .020. The rusted out tank was a fringe benefit with those motors, and if you are near salt water the lower unit may be suspect too. The seals were not exactly top-drawer.
            In theory, those motors have a very good power/weight ratio, and IMO make decent trollers. Or use on rowable skiffs..

Let me check my stash, I may have kept one of those tanks. I’d donate it for postage…

popdude
            Participant

Probably the furthest away from salt water as you can get here in SE Wisconsin. The lower unit is in surprisingly spectacular shape. Nice and clean lubricant inside. Now that it has the correct plug and point setting, I was able to run it a bit. I hooked up a 6 gallon Mercury tank to it with a clear fuel line to monitor the fuel flow. I was amazed that after a good priming the teeny internal red rubber carburetor fuel pump actually kept the fuel flowing quite well all the way up from the floor. I left the motor sitting in the run tank and will check the oil tomorrow for any water intrusion now that it’s been run a while. No oil in the water at this point.
              I would definitely pony up the cash for shipping of a decent fuel tank if you have one. I really hate to ruin a motors aesthetics in order to get it into running condition. But, if need be…
              Thanks,
              Jason

retiredoz
              Participant

PM me your email address and I’ll send pics if I have one…

popdude
                Participant

Did you find any fuel tanks?

retiredoz
                  Participant

I came up empty, but I bet there are some out there…Pretty common usage on those.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.