Home Forum Ask A Member Another Javelin question: starter motor Re: Another Javelin question: starter motor

nj-boatbuilder57
Participant

Well, that’s an interesting question….. At the risk of sounding like a cheapskate:

I looked at the Arco. It was about $140 + freight, if I recall correctly. Made in the USA, which is a big deal for me. I’ll pay extra to get American-made quality and keep American’s working. But I called them to ask them what the FLA & LRA values for their motor was, asked about torque curves, etc. and their reply was absurd: "We don’t really think about our motors in those terms".

Huh? Those *ARE* the terms in which motors are specified.

And our conversation went downhill from there; they were fully & completely INcapable of discussing their motor in any meaningful, relevant technical / electrical way. Didn’t leave me with any confidence whatsoever.

So I went to eBay and found a virtually-identical unit that claimed exact replacement status for all of the associated OMC part numbers. I’m sure it’s some Chinese knockoff (brand name "Gladiator"), but it was $52, free shipping from some supply house in Dallas. Even though no electrical specs were available, I figured the $100 savings was worth a try.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JOHNSON-EV … 2749.l2649

Note that the eBay description has a misprint. It states this is a 10-tooth gear which concerned me, but looking at the pic you can clearly figure that this has 11 teeth, per OMC specs.

Will it last? Is it junk? Way too soon to know / tell. The eBay seller has a solid rating, so hopefully it’s decent. Ask me in a year if I "saved" anything at all!! 🙂