Home Forum Ask A Member Newbie Questions Restoring 1957 Johnson 18hp FDE-11 Re: Newbie Questions Restoring 1957 Johnson 18hp FDE-11

fleetwin
Participant

US Member - 2 Years
    quote FrankR:

"FrankR; I am getting confused & I want to make sure we aren’t confusing Jim? You are advocating using this primer for bolts for Loctite, etc, right? A brush on primer would not be good for crankcase halves? You need the spray for that. Just want to make sure we are clear on that? "

Ok, now I’m getting confused. Why do you say it is not good for crankcase halves? Isn’t it the same stuff in different containers? Educate me on that. The dinky brush in the bottle may be a tad small for smearing it on the crankcase halves. A Q-Tip might work better.

I no longer work on V-6’s. So I’m old school and use 847 on small crankcases and gearcases. Let the uproar begin.

No uproar here Frank, I’m with you buddy! As for clamshell gearcases or crankcases with the spaghetti seal, only the 847 should be used for sure.
    Again, the spaghetti seal is what is really doing the sealing, the 847 is used sparingly just to keep the spaghetti seal properly positioned (except for special/tricky sealing areas).