Re: Newbie Questions Restoring 1957 Johnson 18hp FDE-11

Home Forum Ask A Member Newbie Questions Restoring 1957 Johnson 18hp FDE-11 Re: Newbie Questions Restoring 1957 Johnson 18hp FDE-11

jimmy

Replies: 33
Topics: 4

Hi All,

So, I think I’m pretty clear on the crankcase seal. I will plan to use Permatex 51531 and the activator (spray can). I can buy these locally, or online. Looking at the Permatex website, it doesn’t look like they make the activator in a brush on can anymore (not listed anywhere). SO, I’ll muddle through with the spray.

For the gear case, I’ve got a new tube of 3m 847. I’ll use this around the spaghetti seal and the outside of the new oil seals (drive shaft and prop shaft).

When taking apart the motor, I didn’t notice any thread locker. There may have been some on the rubber mounts, but could have been grease. Are there any key location where I should consider thread locker? I have not seen this mentioned in the service manual that I have.

One thing I have seen in the service manual, it was mention that when replacing some gaskets you need to apply a sealer to both sides. Like on the exhaust cover and baffle gaskets. What is used in these locations?

I will be replacing almost all of the gaskets, so are there any other locations where you need a sealer as well as the gasket?

I’ve tried searching these out here, but I didn’t turn up anything, so maybe the new gaskets are enough?

I hope I didn’t light off another fire storm of opinions! 😯