Flywheel Removal

Outboard Related Only
Harpua

Re: Flywheel Removal

Postby Harpua » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:52 am

Starting this project myself and this thread has been very useful, thanks. Can you tell me the nut size of your flywheel? I have a 59 Gale I think has them same size and I cannot find it listed anywhere.

I am going to use a harmonic balancer puller since I have a good one laying around. i noticed the lag-style anchor bolts the OMC puller has are lathed on the bottom so they screw in right for a sure level puller. that seems like a hefty advantage, honestly and worth a buy for the next time.

I intend to take it slow and make sure to tighten the puller bolts snugly and evenly manually first and keep a close eye.

also - making sure the correct thread size for the puller bolts are 24 NPT.

thanks again.

Garry in Tampa

Postby Garry in Tampa » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:26 pm

I believe they are 1/4" - 20 threads per Inch (SAE standard coarse) should be grade 8 . . . :D

Harpua

Postby Harpua » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:45 am

Garry in Tampa wrote:I believe they are 1/4" - 20 threads per Inch (SAE standard coarse) should be grade 8 . . . :D

thanks for the tip. did that with a harmonic balancer puller and impact gun. no dice. she wont budge. I can see how having the OMC puller will perform much better and was thinking about buying one, but the local shop said he would do it for less, so I am up in the air.

anyone have ideas? i did watch a few videos and read this thread again. but the OMC puller has the right height on the bolts and probably centers easily.

Fisherman6

Postby Fisherman6 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:29 pm

The OMC puller is an excellent tool and completely worth buying if you plan to work on these engines very much.
-Ben
Ben Breitner
AOMCI Member
YouTube handle: Old JohnnyRude

david bartlett

Postby david bartlett » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Fisherman6 wrote:The OMC puller is an excellent tool and completely worth buying if you plan to work on these engines very much.
-Ben

Ben is spot on! It takes me longer to screw the three shoulder bolts into the flywheel than it does to pop it off! Done.
AOMCI Member
Member Pine Tree Boating Club chapter of AOMCI

"I don't fully understand everything I know."
"There is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." (Kenneth Grahame)

Wet Willie

Postby Wet Willie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:24 pm

Based upon my experience, which wasn't very good even with the OMC puller, if a local dealer offered to remove my flywheel for less than the price of a puller, could guarantee its removal in one piece and no additional fees, personally, I'd go for it.

Return to “Ask A Member”