Re: ’67 80 hp V4; checking for air leaks?

Home Forum Ask A Member ’67 80 hp V4; checking for air leaks? Re: ’67 80 hp V4; checking for air leaks?

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
Replies: 6715
Topics: 51

Uncontrollable runaway is usually a result of revving it up in neutral or out of the water, or other no-load conditions such as a busted shear pin. However, as I read your story, you seem to indicate you had it on the lake. So, I dunno–was it in gear at the time?

Other than that, your symptoms scream out "Too lean". OK, back to the carburetor for the 10th time. Are you SURE the high speed jets are absolutely clean? Are you SURE they are the right ones?

If you are sure of the above, then are you SURE the belt timing is correct? And are you SURE the carb/distributor linkage is properly synchronized? If not, it absolutely will cause just what you are describing. My honest suspicion is that this is the problem (?)

I seriously doubt it is the crankcase leakage that you are suspecting. If it were, it would show up as poor running at idle, not at high speed.

One last thought–does it run better with the hood off? Missing parts from that extension kit will cause it to smother with the hood on.