Are Sierra's breaker points just garbage or what?

Outboard Related Only
Jeffersonsharp

Are Sierra's breaker points just garbage or what?

Postby Jeffersonsharp » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:39 pm

I purchased a boat with twin '57 Johnson 35hp RDE-19 outboards converted to long shaft. I've been going through doing all the maintenance things to get the motors back in service. I've resealed the gear cases, replaced the impellers, cleared the rear cavity drain of 60 years of mud-crete, rebuilt the carbs, replaced the fuel lines, repaired the internal wiring harnesses, replaced the fuel filters, replaced the coils and condensers, and today I put in new breaker points. But, when I went to adjust them, no dice. These things have to much gap even adjusted as close as they go. This is the first time I've ever done points so perhaps there's something I've done wrong but I can't think what that would be. Maybe my mistake was buying Sierra parts but I thought they had at least a reasonably good reputation. Has anyone else had problems with Sierra points on these old motors? I searched the internet and didn't find any complaints. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

Tom Manley

Re: Are Sierra's breaker points just garbage or what?

Postby Tom Manley » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Check to see that the rivets are tight, I'e had some that were loose and wouldn't hold adjustment.

Tom

FrankR

Postby FrankR » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:52 pm

Sierra quality control ranges from lousy to non-existent. How's your luck doin'?

Jeffersonsharp

Postby Jeffersonsharp » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I just checked them they're tight. The hole in the base for the pivot post Seems like it may be a couple thousandths larger than the old points but other than that they appear identical. I can't imagine that almost imperceptible slop could cause the problems I'm having.

Jeffersonsharp

Postby Jeffersonsharp » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:02 pm

Boy, without Sierra there's virtually no new parts availability for these motors.

Chris_P

Postby Chris_P » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:32 pm

I only buy NOS OEM points.

SteveH

Postby SteveH » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:41 pm

marineengine.com has OEM breaker points. Part #0580148 $13.19 each

t2stroke

Postby t2stroke » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:33 pm

Buy the OEM tuneup kit #172522 for $21.67 on sale at ME. Less than a $1.00 more than Sierra $20.80 JUNK! Comes with 2 sets of points, 2 condensors, & the oiler wick you will need. It's all I buy. Sierra has been junk since I have been 15 years old. I'm 64 now. Some of their stuff is fine, but not their points! Could be my opinion, but it's not!

Dan in TN

Jeffersonsharp

Postby Jeffersonsharp » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:41 am

Well, Hell. Trying to save a buck. Guess I'll order the right parts and consider this a slightly spendy lesson. Now I know. Thanks for your input everyone.

Jerry Ahrens

Postby Jerry Ahrens » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:14 am

Hover test those Sierra points over the trash can.... if they drop in when you let go, their no good! No seriously, they ARE junk! I've chased my tail a few times with those.. I would highly recommend the tune up kit Dan mentioned. Those are the only GOOD points that there are for your motor.
Jerry Ahrens AOMCI Member MAPS Chapter President

Return to “Ask A Member”