Home Forum Ask A Member If I have a wiring error, I simply can’t find it…UPDATE: FIXED! Re: If I have a wiring error, I simply can’t find it…

nj-boatbuilder57
Participant

Yes, I added a second wire.

The engine is a bit of a Frankenstein……’59 Gale meets ’57 Javelin. I received one of each, neither working, but enough pieces & parts to build one good engine. While there are some small differences, they’re really quite identical. When finished, the physical appearance will be a ’57 Javelin but the nameplate says Gale. Like I said: Frankenstein.

But let’s not get lost in the weeds, either…..there’s no reason whatsoever that a ’57 Javelin (or *any* 2 cylinder engine for that matter) can’t have a kill switch just like the one in the posted schematic. So I’ve run a dedicated wire from the top points to the kill switch. On the bottom cylinder, it’s just a takeoff lead from the vacuum switch to the kill switch. Again, just like the schematic. Ignore all else, electric start, choke, etc.; it’s just a points-to-points kill switch like most other OMC engines. Except mine only kills one side.

Tomorrow night I’ll pull the flywheel (again) and take more measurements…..

EDIT: OK…sizeable update. While I certainly don’t have this figured out yet, the issue is NOT on the magneto plate. I just went out to the shop and disconnected both kill wires from everything else and tied them together….neither wire sparked when i turned over the engine (as is to be expected). So whatever is going on is from the end of those wires, forward, not ‘back’ towards the points, caps & coils. If nothing else, it looks like I don’t need to pull the flywheel! Yay!

Oh, and BU got crushed by Northeastern, 5-2. Not a good night for us hockey fans….