Home Forum Ask A Member Ok. Maybe the screwdriver was a bad choice

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bullie
    Participant

I was attempting to remove the seal from the bearing assembly on my cd-19. I tried knocking it out from the back and only succeeded in bending out the cup. Never got it to move at all. I need seal removal 101. It looked really easy on youtube.

mr-asa
      Participant

You can sort of wedge the screwdriver in there and pry it up. If you’re replacing it it really doesn’t matter what you do to that seal so long as you don’t damage the bearing surfaces.

I’ve been known to turn the powerhead upside down and slowly drill a hole into the seal, then use that as a prying surface.
        I don’t think I’d recommend that for your first one, though. You have to plan it out so that you don’t get shavings into the motor.

bullie
        Participant

Ok. Something I said was wrong I guess. I led you to the wrong part of the motor. I am trying to remove the prop seal from the bearing assembly on the gear case. I am learning. Sorry. I have been trying to tap the seal out but all I did was destroy the outer lip of the seal. I never got it to move at all.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am so lucky to have an amazing machinist as a friend and club member….
            Dave Bono made me a beautiful tool to remove these pesky seals on gearcase heads and upper bushing/seals! No more mangled seal lips, damaged casting from prying and tapping!
            One two three done, will post some pictures…

The Boat House
            Participant

While this problem may be new to you
              its bin a PITA for most of us at one time.
              I believe what you have now is only the
              sides of the seal remaining as you have
              knocked the rest off. Been there.
              What you will need to do is try to catch
              the edge of the side of the seal with
              something and push it inwards. Something
              small to start with like a dull all. Once you
              get it started you can go to something
              a little bigger.
              Push the side of the seal so its top is away
              from the casting. You want to push on the
              seal not drive something in between the
              seal and the casting. This may relive the
              pressure enough so it will come out now
              but if not go to the opposite side and do the
              same thing. You may have to do this in 4
              places. Now the trick is to do no damage
              to the casting. As that is almost impossible
              do the least amount of damage as possible.
              You’ll get better at this over time if you
              don’t have the proper tool for whatever
              seal you are removing.

RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member

There is an actual tool for that purpose… it is alos intended to do the upper drive shaft seal I believe… I bought mine from Frank Robb. He and I had the same issue, in as much as it is like pulling a seal from the upper crank shaft, this application that shaft is removed then the seal is pulled. So here is the problem. the puller itself has what one could call massive teeth, but only a couple and they break very easy. The one O bought from Frank had one broken grabber, and I got oh so lucky to be perusing Ebay and found an OEM one.

I would think a guy could make a fixture to use a normal seal puller to remove them. Can ya tell I have thought about this?
                I suppose I should get into this further and see what can be done as these are more of a pain than the crank shaft seals..

I can post pictures tonight if anyone is interested…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                classicomctools@gmail.com

frankr
                Participant

US Member

A Dremel can be a wonderful tool sometimes. Use it to grind a groove almost through the remaining shell of the seal–till it is paper thin,
                  or less. Then it will fall out.

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I always remove the prop shaft from the gearcase and put the bearing head back in. Put the skeg back on with the gearcase gutted and tighten the screws. With it mounted in the lower unit, you have something to hold onto. I then remove the seal with a seal puller I made from a piece of a damaged drive shaft I had. Thanks to Ron Baker for the idea of making the seal puller. I had destroyed the one I bought from Advance Auto Parts trying to pull the seal out of one of my QD-16s. So far, using the gearcase to hold that bearing head has been the easiest solution I have found for getting a good hold on it to allow the seal to be pulled. I did crack the seal pocket on one that was previously damaged, but that is the only problem I have had. Maybe this will help.
                    Here is a photo of my seal puller.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

If the shaft is no longer in the hole, I use three inside hooks from my slide hammer kit . . 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.