Johnson TD-20

Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson TD-20

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• caseyj

Replies: 4
    Topics: 2

I am in the process of restoring this motor and in the literature it says that to lubricate the lower unit you insert the grease in the larger hole in the bottom until grease flows out the smaller hole hole on the other side. Well, I pumped a lot of grease into the larger hole with none coming out the smaller port.

Out of curiosity, I took the lower unit apart to see where the grease was going and discovered that the smaller port was part of the cooling unit and I didn’t see how any grease at all could enter this area as it was separated by a plate or if grease was even supposed to go into this cavity as it held the water pump assembly. The water pump cavity is open to water coming in and forced up into the motor via a rubber rotor. Why would you want grease in this area or why do the instructions tell you to watch for grease coming out the smaller port when this port is open to the water pump and separated from the grease cavity by a gasket and seal? Whew! Confused. Anyone have any experience with this motor?

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

Perhaps this will help . . .
    🙂

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 7493
    Topics: 1072

I believe you had grease coming out of the pump drain screw hole,
    not the vent that’s higher up. If the grease vent was in place while
    pumping grease, the grease was probably forced past the grease
    seal and into the pump housing.

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

caseyj

I will check this out, Thanks for the diagram Gary and I will follow up.

caseyj

Buccaneer – I checked it out again on another diagram that I have and it shows a vent much higher up almost to the middle of the motor shaft on the back side of the motor. There must be a whole lot of grease to go that distance. My mistake as I was sure that it was the vent that is on the pump housing with a screw that was being referred to. I feel better now. Thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.