Home Forum Ask A Member AOMCI registrations Re: AOMCI registrations

punchbug
Participant

Some very interesting posts….different points of view. That being said I would like to add this fodder. As motor collectors/restorers there are two schools of thought. Do I restore to "original" condition or do I leave it absolutely original. That is the real question we all struggle with. If I keep it original is it the best original? If I restore to original is it the best restoration challenging the DuPont registry if I may be so bold! That is how they are judged are they not? My re-thinking (is that a word) is this. I agree that a rowboat motor should not be judged against a 1980’s motor but what if they are both restored? What if they are both original? I stand by my original posting…I think it should be a rolling year classification but create more classes…one for over 100 years old (pioneer) motors, one from 75-99 yrs old antigue, one one for 50-74 years old, classic, one for everything else call it the new wave. The best way to include new members is to include the motors they grew up with. A 40year old person may have bought a motor for his 18th bd. That motor is now 22 years old and the condition he has kept his baby is important to him. He is proud and he wants it judged why not include him. As he and his motor ages he can move to different classes and see how his motor stands up. Is that not the reason we care for these works of art. Nostagia and pride of ownership. The engineering advancements are important, but they advance every year some in small ways some in major changes. Look at the neptunes they made motors for decades that were virtually unchanged in their style at least. What really defines the motor…I believe it is age and like it or not it roles every year.