Home Forum Ask A Member Remove a Steering Wheel

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dwdropinn
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I am trying to remove the steering wheel from my ’49 FC Vagabond but am unable to do so. There is is a set screw on the piece between the wheel and the deck but it only secures that piece to the steering column. I have no information on the wheel, it came with the boat. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks,
      Jim

Attachments:

frankr
      Participant

The usual scenario is the center "hub cap" snaps out, then there is a nut behind it. The wheel and shaft is normally a tapered fit, somewhat like a flywheel.

chris-p
        Participant

There is usually a small little rectangle cut out around the circ of the cap somewhere? I cannot seem to see it in the pic, but usually there if you look close. Pop it off.
          Don’t be surprised if you need a puller to remove it from the shaft once you get the nut off. Rare you can pull them off by hand. The ones I have done anyways. You may have better luck than me!

amuller
          Participant

Not sure, but I think I might be seeing a wire snap ring holding the hub cap in place. If there is one, pry it out and the cap will then be free. Hopefully there will be a metal hub with tapped holes for a steering wheel puller.

1aquaholic
            Participant

Yes, there is a metal snap ring. Pop it off and you should be able to get the center cap off and behind that is the nut. Your center cap looks to be metal, mine is glass. That center cap should clean up good!
              I hope this helps!
              1Aquaholic

johnny-infl
              Participant

careful – – – that center cap is probably very very thin aluminum.
                any dents or disfigurement may be hard to restore.

chris-p
                Participant

Good eyes.

The ones without tapped holes I have used 3 jaw pullers to get off.

dave-bernard
                  Participant

Or drill and tap holes for puller. I have done it.

dwdropinn
                    Participant

Thank you all for your recommendations. I will post an update with the results.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.