Home Forum Ask A Member Sea King fuel fittings

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    guzzi-john
    Participant

I’m need a female quick coupler to make a fuel line for my motor. It is a 1966 Chrysler built twin supposedly the same as the earlier West Bend. I read reviews of fitting purchases that say the fitting received have too short a pin to open the ball check. Anyone know what part numbers may be the right item? 1/4 line x 3/8 quick coupling. Thanks, GJ

Attachments:

b-dittmar
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

This is the only one to use. http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/pa … RF197787Q3

guzzi-john
        Participant

Thank you, Ordered one and crossed fingers & toes for it to fit. Are you the Chrysler guy I swapped a shotgun for a little Mercury a few years back?

b-dittmar
          Participant

quote guzzi john:

Thank you, Ordered one and crossed fingers & toes for it to fit. Are you the Chrysler guy I swapped a shotgun for a little Mercury a few years back?

I think so.

guzzi-john
            Participant

I’ll have to visit you again sometime as I’ve been bitten by the OB bug.

guzzi-john
              Participant

AARGHHH!!! Once again bitten by mail order/Chinese(maybe)parts/part number cross. I ordered the Sierra version of the recommended quick coupler and got something like what was pictured in ad. first the barb is a 3/8 not a 1/4 or 5/16 shown. Next the knurling is different but that’s not a problem. They hook together(sort of)-no air flow though until I poked a skinny wire in the male end hmmmm? Thirdly the spring loaded sleeve doesn’t lock completely as the hex shoulder of the male 1/2 hits the female b4 the balls drop into the groove-poor dimensioning? And you can pull it apart due to partial locking. The flow issue is possibly due to the pair not seating all the way(perhaps 1-2mm but also the spring on the male’s ball check is weaker than the spring of the female’s center pin. I’m going to machine off a bit of the male hex in order for things to lock properly and if it still doesn’t flow I’ll try small tube extension on the pin. I hate sending parts back and haven’t gotten a reply from the vendor after sending message of issue. Anyone else ever dealt w Harvard Marine in N.Y.?

b-dittmar
                Participant

Yeah unfortunately the aftermarket ones don’t work. You need the OE Mercury one.
                  Yes come see me again P/M me and I will give you my phone number.

guzzi-john
                  Participant

I was able to get it to work. I trimmed the hex shoulder so it locked but still had no flow. After several attempts at an extension for the pin decided the male 1/2 needed stronger spring. Found one in my spring drawer and now it works. A bit of a hassle but challenges are fun too.

dave-bernard
                    Participant

why not buy both pieces even if it is not the correct ones .

guzzi-john
                      Participant

I am a thrifty(cheap) Norwegian. Other folks had troubles even when they bought the pair. Not sure if it was Sierra fittings but I’ll bet they’re made in " The People’s Paradise". Here’s a shot of my mod.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.