Home Forum Ask A Member folding motor coupler question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    wrenchero
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

hello, i am working on a 1967 johnson 3hp folding motor with standard drive and a 1965 evinrude 3hp folding motor with weedless drive.the coupler on the 65 is unattached and looks like it is missing a clip?i am comparing the 67 to the 65 and the 67 is fine but the spring on the 65 is much stronger.were they that much different or did someone try to fluff this one in there.marine engine sells a whole new coupler,should i just get that?thanks

mn

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I don’t get that ‘unattached’ part ? The coupler is attached to the lower drive shaft with a pin…Unless I misread the diagrams, the ’65 and the ’67 couplers were the same ? Maybe you could post a couple pics ?

wrenchero
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

i dont have pics now.i will try to post them tomorrow.when i got the engine the coupler was sitting unerneath the engine(fell out of the box) not attached to the shaft.the pin and the spring are still on the shaft.it looks like a clip is missing that would hold the coupler on.it is a different style than the 67.i think i will order a new one since the spring is very strong and might cause wear in the gearcase(spring pushing down on the driveshaft)

mn

wrenchero
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

i have a couple pics here.i hope i did this right?

Attachments:

mn

retiredoz
            Participant

The two should look the same. The one on the left in your third shot looks right, you’re missing the washer and clip for the other one. You could probably find a fat washer and a c-clip to hold it on place..

wrenchero
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

the one in the 3rd picture seems right.it has a shoulder for the washer to sit on.the other one is different.it has a groove (instead of a shoulder) for a clip or snap ring to sit in and the spring is a LOT stiffer than the other one.the pin in the 3rd pic is longer too?

mn

retiredoz
                Participant

Well, you get the idea : The pin is a drive pin, length isn’t all that important as long as it’s long enough. I have the one on the right, with the groove in the
                  coupler and the heftier spring. Like I said, if you dink up a fairly thick washer and find a clip, you should be good. If the spring tension makes you uncomfortable, you could probably find a lighter spring, too.

Anonymous

The springs look significantly different which probably explains the feeling that the ’65 is stronger.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.