Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude 18HP ignition issues Re: 1957 Evinrude 18HP ignition issues

cajuncook1
Participant
    quote nobodyspecial:

Wow! Thank you for all the good info!!
    Aftr Crosbys response, I decided to replace the old points I took off and use the Timing tool again and TA DA! It now lines up! The points I bought off of ebay were either wrong ones or just crap. The rubbing foot was definitely bigger.
    I would not have thought of this! I was starting to think I was losing my mind in some fashion(which I probably am BTW)
    Thank you again.

I will now go out to run it and update…..

I just saw your post here. I’m glad the guys helped you figure out the issue. Unfortunately some of the aftermarket points that are being introduced are of poor quality!

Richard’s remake of the factor timing tool is excellent. Using an analog meter or an instrument of continunity to find the precise time the points should open and timing the firing of both cylinders 180 degrees apart allows the motor to idle better and smoother.

As the guys stated, when using the timing fixture, please disregard the gapping the points at 0.020 and the placement of the points shoes on the points cam.

Glad things worked out!!!

Cajuncook1