Re: Dark Side Confusion

Home Forum Ask A Member Dark Side Confusion Re: Dark Side Confusion

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
Topics: 298

Thanks guys. I knew there were some good Merc experts on this site!

After I posted my original post, I went back out and studied it a bit more. Sure enough, I found the white button Bill was referring to and it was off with the band! I wanted to get the starter off but to do that, I had to undo the three nuts holding the top piece on which the starter rope is threaded thru. Is this the normal way to remove the starter, along with the top piece? I sure didn’t want to cut the starter rope or it might have rewound on me!

It has NGK surface gap plugs in it and I couldn’t see any rust or scoring while looking thru the plug holes but the motor seemed tight. Eventually I could rock it back and forth with about an inch travel on the ring gear but it had a springy feeling. Same with the prop shaft, I can turn it slightly with my foot but it doesn’t move to much. It might be stuck in gear to but now I’m thinking the powerhead is free along with the gearcase but the driveshaft is locked solid somewhere. Would this motor have the ball bearing right below the water pump which likes to rust out as on smaller Mercs?

Attachments: