Another Javelin question: starter motor

Outboard Related Only
NJ-boatbuilder57

Re: Another Javelin question: starter motor

Postby NJ-boatbuilder57 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:07 am

Great info!

This page is not in my service manual.....I'm sure glad to have it. Thanks!

Billy J

Postby Billy J » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:43 pm

Mumbles said. Before shelling out for a new starter, why not remove the lower end cap and check the condition of the lower thrust washer? If it is badly worn or missing, it will allow the armature to drop causing the commutator segments to short out to the end cap. Symptoms of this are a dragging starter and high current draw. I agree with Mumbles you can not expect a 60 year old starter to work as new. A 1956 starter is very simple to take apart. Make some match marks on the housing and end cap and take it apart. It might just need to be cleaned up and the bearings lubricated and brushes cleaned up or replaced.

Billy J

Postby Billy J » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Mumbles said. Before shelling out for a new starter, why not remove the lower end cap and check the condition of the lower thrust washer? If it is badly worn or missing, it will allow the armature to drop causing the commutator segments to short out to the end cap. Symptoms of this are a dragging starter and high current draw. I agree with Mumbles you can not expect a 60 year old starter to work as new. A 1956 starter is very simple to take apart. Make some match marks on the housing and end cap and take it apart. It might just need to be cleaned up and the bearings lubricated and brushes cleaned up or replaced. regards Bill,

Return to “Ask A Member”