Re: FD-19 Johnson hard starting

Home Forum Ask A Member FD-19 Johnson hard starting Re: FD-19 Johnson hard starting

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
Replies: 4737
Topics: 46

So, the engine starts OK cold, correct? The engine is hard to start after running it, letting it sit for a bit, then restarting, do I have it right?
"….It has to be primed…" Do you mean you have to push the primer button on the tank? I am assuming the engine still uses the pressure tank/two line set up. There should be plenty of residual pressure in the tank from running it to keep the carb full of fuel unless there is a delivery problem. And, if there was a fuel delivery problem, I would think there would be running issues. You could always try loosening the cap before restarting hot to see if the tank still is pressurized.
I’m just guessing, but am thinking that the priming really isn’t helping it to start when hot. Vapor lock is not real uncommon today’s fuels, especially in warmer weather. Is the fuel fresh? Using old fuel/oil mix, or a winter blended fuel might be causing a hot start issue….
It is not uncommon to have to use the choke when restarting a hot engine. Once you have verified that the tank is not losing pressure, I would just try using the choke to restart the warm engine.