Re: Red OMC coils

Home Forum Ask A Member Red OMC coils Re: Red OMC coils

joesnuffy

Replies: 356
Topics: 23

Are you good at making or re-winding your own coils?

I think those red coils were replacement coils that were made in West-Germany possibly put in the 60s or 70s. The motor is a 1955 7.5hp Johnson.
The coils say "to fit OMC" so that makes me think they are a replacement coil.

They also have an older OMC part# in them. When I looked at them real close yesterday I noticed the rubber which is like shrink rap that was used on small wires where the electrical connectors are for where the small wire goes to ground and where the other small wire goes to the points was a bit dry rotted and cracked looking. Other than that the coils look brand new.

The reason I looked at them hard is I was changing the small wire that normally goes to ground and placing it where the wire normally goes to the points and putting that one that goes to the points to the ground for my home made Red Atom Module to see if that would make it fire when the flywheel was spun clockwise which it did. Before I switched them using those Red Coils I had to spin the flywheel counter clockwise to get spark. That is what is weird I was trying to come up with a simply way to make my modules that will easily work for OMC motors which I indeed have but when I put the modules in different motors some spark with the flywheel spinning clockwise some spark when it spins counerclockwise and all I can figure out is when different manufacturers build the coils some windings inside the coil are wrapped in one direction and on other coils in the other direction but switching the small coil wires fixes the problem and keeps the motor pretty much stock and the mod can be reversed back to points easily. With points it doesn’t matter which way the windings in the coil go.

Joe

ps As a side note: A couple years ago I put tried putting Nova2s in a 12hp West Bend to see if it would run on them. I had spark but when I pulled the rope the motor acted as if the timing was out. I even tried switching the plug wires. The one thing I did not try was reversing the wires on the module since I had spark I didn’t think I needed to now I question that. I have found a diode that I can put into the Nova 2 circuit that acts as both a fuse and limits the AC current that gets to the Nova that will help keep those modules alive. I am going to test run the diodes on a 9.5hp Johnson I own to see if they help keep the Novas alive. I think the reason the Nova’s may die easily for some folks is the power going to them still has a a bit to much AC current for them to handle. While using one of those diodes on my home made Red Atoms I did blow the diode the module was still good but the diode was not on this particular motor it had 2 different coils manufactured by 2 different companies.