Home Forum Ask A Member water leak

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    searay
    Participant

hey guys
      I have a 1956 30 hp evinrude and a 1958 35 hp evinrude . both leak water at the bottom of head .took head off of the 30 hp and noticed that the
      rectangle water passage hole at bottom of gasket is larger the the hole on the head , also there is a hole in the pan under the head for the water to drain out. the question is , is this head supposed to leak like this and why ? looks to me like the rectangle passage way in gasket was punched out wrong. what do you think ? Both motors run great. thanks for your answers

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, no water should be leaking out between the head and the block into the motor pan…
        I’m not quite sure about the condition you are describing, post some pictures for us. Both engines leak this way? Seems like an odd coincidence…

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

I would tend to believe some one got a lot of bad gaskets and suspect Sierra Marine who tends to buy from the lowest bidder. . . 😕

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

I would tend to believe some one got a lot of bad gaskets and suspect Sierra Marine who tends to buy from the lowest bidder. . . 😕

searay
            Participant

wish I knew how to post pictures ,im sure now the head gasket was cut wrong
              thanks fleetwin and Gary

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Email the pics to me, I will post them…
                dkellogg56@gmail.com
                Don

chris-p
                Participant

Perhaps the wrong gasket is installed.

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

This can also happen if the old gasket wasn’t completely scrapped off both mating surfaces.
                    Dave

PugetSoundBoater
                    Participant

Did you resurface the head before you reinstalled it with the new gasket? I know this is asking a lot,but If you could determine which side of the gasket it is leaking from,that would narrow the problem down for you. I had the same very slight water leak problem on my 9.9, i solved it by using Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shellac on the very outside 1/8th inch on the outside of the water jacket after i resurfaced the head and cleaned the block surface really well with Acetone after removing the old gasket completely. Problem solved.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                      Robbie Robertson

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.