intake leaves on 1956 30HP Johnson

Outboard Related Only
OLCAH

intake leaves on 1956 30HP Johnson

Postby OLCAH » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 pm

I am working on an RJE18 and I notice that the edge of some of the intake leaves are corroded where the leaves contact the leaf plate. On another similar motor I put the leaves on a glass plate, and removed the corrosion using fine emery. That motor has run fine. On the present motor the corrosion is too deep to smooth off. However the leaves could be turned over. The back side is not corroded. Turning the leaves over means they would flex in the opposite direction when running. Could that cause the leaves to fail? Anyone have any experience with this?

Also there is some corrosion on the leaf plate where the leaves contact the plate. I am thinking of just smoothing the plate a bit and reassembling. Anyone have comments?

Thank you.

Outboard315

Re: intake leaves on 1956 30HP Johnson

Postby Outboard315 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:02 pm

I believe you are referring to the intake reeds and the support plate, it is the reed against the reed cage that needs a good seal, corrosion on the support plate side is not an issue, however I would remove it since it going into the cylinder would be an issue.
Mercury: Mark 20
Wizard: WG7, WA25E
Johnson: 69 4hp folder
Evinrude: 67 3hp lightwin

FrankR

Re: intake leaves on 1956 30HP Johnson

Postby FrankR » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:32 pm

DO NOT flip them over. That is inviting it to break and damage the piston and cylinder as it swallows the pieces. There should be lots of used ones out there.

Return to “Ask A Member”