1970 Mercury 7.5hp

Home Forum Ask A Member 1970 Mercury 7.5hp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• bluehaze

Replies: 26
    Topics: 8

I have a 1970 Mercury 7.5hp, #2954927.
    It has the "Phase-Maker" ignition. I have read it can be swapped out for an older Phelon ignition. I don’t want to spend $275 for a new stator.
    Can it be retrofitted? If so, for a parts motor, what year and hp models do I look for?

This is the first Mercury I’ve worked on, so these ignitions are new to me. Is the 1970 Merc 7.5 worth messing with???

dockbuster1

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 116
    Topics: 186

That engine has a green potted stator and a ground breaker stop switch , if the wires are all good and the stop switch has good ground but the engine has no spark most likely the maker point white insulators are probably shorted and need to be replaced they are still available and inexpensive if the coils are brown they should have been replaced with green ones .

bluehaze

Yes, this has the green stator, but it has a large chunk of the top blown off it. Also, the wires coming out are disintegrated, cracked and completely corroded inside.
    It had intermittent spark to the lower cyl, and when I switched coils, the upper had some intermittent spark.

I’d like to get rid of the PaseMaker, and switch to a traditional Points, Coil, Condenser set up if possible.

westwind

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 374
    Topics: 10

A previous generation 9.8 or 6 hp donor motor should work. Not sure how far back you can go. There should be some powerheads around since the lower units were a bit weak. It’s probably a good idea to take your lower unit apart to make sure it’s in good condition before going through the trouble of swapping the ignition.

bluehaze

Ok, I’ll look for a pre 1970 6 to 9.8hp donor.
    The gearcase looks good, and the compression is an even 130 lbs per cylinder. It’s a fresh water motor in nice condition except for the stator.
    Does anyone know how early a year I should look for? Black motors only??

Thanks for the replies!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.