Re: Mercury 650 problems – is it worth an overhaul?

Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury 650 problems – is it worth an overhaul? Re: Mercury 650 problems – is it worth an overhaul?

seakaye12

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
Replies: 1117
Topics: 108

Yes the primer bulb needs to firm up and stay firm. If it’s soft….then fuel is leaking somewhere. If it hasn’t already been checked; add the fuel pump to your list of things to check for fuel leaks in addition to flooding carburetors. The fuel pump diaphragm might be leaking; allowing fuel to flow into the intake port.
I have a 1977 Mercury 850 and when I got it nearly 10 years ago the wiring was so bad that I wouldn’t dare hook a battery up to it. Ready made harnesses are most likely still available; otherwise just replace one wire at a time. Hopefully you don’t have issues with the wires running up under the flywheel to the stator and trigger. Those were bad on mine and I ended up replacing those components. In the long run it was OK because the CDI brand replacement ignition components are said to be better than the original Mercury parts. Modern electronics of course.

Multiple carburetor engines really need to be maintained (the carbs) because if one goes lean from getting partially plugged it may not be all that noticeable but can cause lean running and melted pistons.

If you feel it might be over-revving I would take it easy until you get a tach. They are not that expensive and would make a great addition to your instrumentation.