Paint removal

Home Forum Ask A Member Paint removal

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• davesko

Replies: 94
    Topics: 34

Hi guys,just finished a nice running evinrude 6hp and starting on cosmetics, the cowl is very nice but someone did a 99 cent paint job on the mid section and lower unit. The paint is flaking off and you can rub it with your nail and it comes off. Paint under looks great. My question is there something I can use to speed up removal that won’t hurt the underlying paint? Because rubbing it off with my nail will take me an eternity. I have no idea how long it’s been painted like this but clearly there was no prep. Thanks in advance, Dave

twostroke

Replies: 117
    Topics: 39

I’ve got a diesel/kerosene fired power washer that would quick work of that. Gotta’ GOOD coin-op car wash near you? That would probably do it.

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

reivertom

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 790
    Topics: 40

Power wash it. If it comes off that easy, you might get a bunch off with just a good wash down. I have seen paint come off fairly easy if they didn’t do it right and prep it. You might even be able to do it at a good car wash if you don’t have a power washer.

davesko

Replies: 94
    Topics: 34

Thanks guys, guess I should have thought of the obvious. It worked great used a little detergent as well. Thanks again

mr-asa

Replies: 794
    Topics: 138

Power washing can damage the underlying paint as well. Be careful with it.

I’d start with soap and a stiff-bristle brush, then move up to a hose that has a brass "fireman’s nozzle" on it. Start gentle, work up to stronger
    Greased Lightning and other ammonia-based detergents can help break up the newer paint as well

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.