Home Forum Ask A Member 85 hp V4 reeds

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

Looking at these through the carb ports, some of them seem to lie against the ports in the reed box, and other stand out a little at the free ends. My manual gives a maximum clearance of ten thou (0.010) That might be about what they are, without having measured.

Is this normal or is it something to be concerned about?

Also, there is a small hose running from the lower port corner of the silencer box to the intake manifold. What is this for?

Does this engine have crankcase drains?

Thanks.

am

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, that is normal for the reeds, not to worry….That hose leading to the air box is for recirculation of what would have been dumped overboard back in the 60s.

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I had a 1962 OMC Dual Deluxe 17 footer, 2 screws, My Dad & I have replaced reeds & cages at least 5 times & 3 sets of carbs, It was a laid down V-4, crankcase & carbs on the bottom. All the contamination went to the bottom. That & early E-shift, wrap up springs went oversize. Does it idle well? Reeds need just enough preload that the fuel mix finishing the sealing component. If they " stand out or"different in clearances, they need to be inspected. Merc reeds require splitting the cases so I check them very well before the rings, If you can see daylight thru the reed it’s not sealing.
          Sorry Don, I respectfully disagree,

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, in a perfect world, the reeds would seal completely. The positive crankcase pressures help seal the reeds, forcing them completely closed. Most attempts to reseat/adjust/or the dreaded reed flipping will usually end up with broken reeds, screws falling out, or other calamities. Unlike your early stern drive engines, the 72 V4 is very forgiving, and I feel confident it will run fine the way it is. I guess if I was going to attack the reeds, I would order new reed pedals, never attempt to preload/seal the old ones, and use Loctite on the retaining screws….

amuller
            Participant

Well, the manual says, or seems to say, that the petals should have zero preload to 0.010 gap. Looking again at mine, I think the gap on some might be closer to 0.015, but I don’t plan to mess with them.

The motor does start and idle, but until I get the carbs gone over and things synced up, and some fresh fuel mixed, I can’t make a judgement about how well….and the fixed idle jets make me a little nervous.

dan-in-tn
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’m with Don on the reeds. OMC doesn’t have much problem with reeds. I can understand the paranoia with the Mercury bunch. If I had to tear the whole motor apart to get to them (even take the crank out) then you would pay a lot more attention. On top of that Mercs have more reed problem as a whole than OMC does. Might be because of the higher RPMs?
                Even after Merc went to the V-6 type engines they still fail more reeds than OMC/BRP. The only problem OMC/BRP has is if the whole reed box falls off the intake manifold?
                As far as the fixed jets making you nervous, the carburetors can still be tuned. You just have to "throw brass at them" as we use to say. Your motor shows .027 low speed jets. If you feel the need to change them let me know? We can do something on an exchange basis. I have plenty of brass.

Dan in TN

amuller
                Participant

Dan, would you have a set of #59 main jets?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.