Re: ‘62 5.5 evinrude

Home Forum Ask A Member ‘62 5.5 evinrude Re: ‘62 5.5 evinrude

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
Replies: 4737
Topics: 46

Where are you in the NE? I am in Providence, but travel back and forth to Logan airport a few times a week…
OK, so I guess your engine probably just sat in the mechanic shop for all that time, the new techs wanted little or nothing to do with it…
Keep in mind that the engine will seem to rev up fine in neutral, even if it is running on just one cylinder….
You had the powerhead off to do the water pump, I’m hoping you got all the crazy lower crankcase seal components back together OK. You mention changing the powerhead bolts, but it sounds like you cut them to length properly…A bolt that is too long could damage the crankcase casting and cause problems…
You can’t really judge spark quality just by pulling it over with the plugs out…Could be losing spark under load at higher RPMs. Those inline neon testers are a helpful isolating a spark problem under load.
Basic sync adjustments aren’t going to affect the engine much at high speeds, but is the carb linkage connected up properly…Advance the throttle to make sure the carb butterfly is opening properly/completely.
Again, something as simple as a bit of water in the fuel tank could be causing this issue. I would tip the tank to one side and try to siphon some of the fuel/oil mix from the lowest part of the tank into a glass container….Let it sit for a bit and see if water separates out…
Finally, you mention that the engine does seem harder to pull over after it quits…Again, are you sure it is not overheating? An engine that is overheating will appear to run normally at high speeds, just bog down and stop/seize up….An engine that does not have enough oil in the fuel mix will do the same thing, except it won’t overheat (at least on the outside where you can feel it). Have you done a compression test…
And yes, being tough to pull over can also be a symptom of a binding gearcase shock absorber. But, I don’t want you to pull the gearcase apart until/unless we rule out other more basic issues…You said you changed the gear lube when you had the gearcase off…Was the lube watery?
And yes, you can not see/evaluate the gearcase shock without disassembling the gearcase, or at least prying up the bushing/seal housing underneath the water pump