Home Forum Ask A Member Crankshaft repair

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    green-thumbs
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A choice between a bent crankshaft and one with some rust/pitted bearing journals has led to
      a emery paper and oil in an attempt to salvage a workable crankshaft.
      Am I wasting my time? Any suggestions?
      I have feelers out for a better crankshaft too.
      Crankcase is plain bearing connecting rods are needle bearing…long story we need not get into here…save that those are only option..
      Louis

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

People / machine shops used to straighten crankshafts.
        Not sure if anyone does anymore or not.

Prepare to be boarded!

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

If you have access to a good welder meaning the person, he can fill in those pits, then take it to a Professional Automotive machine shop. They will have the correct equipment to regrind it back down. I had my Caille Single crank reground, cost $60…well worth it

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

chris-p
          Participant

I have NEVER been able to polish out a crank that had pitted/rusted journals. Within spec anyways to where I was happy with it. If you can see the outlines of the needles, by the time you polish it out, you will be out of spec.

I suppose this all depends on how rare the crank is? If we are talking about a rare crank, attempting a repair may be your only option. If you are talking a 50s OMC Big Twin, don’t waste your time, there are gazillions of them out there to replace it with.

green-thumbs
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank one and all for your input. Not a rare crankshaft, just don’t have a better one handy.
              Will ramp up search for a good to go replacement.
              Louis

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just my observations from over the years: Pits in the crank where plain bearings ride are usually not a problem if the crank is simply cleaned up enough to remove any high spots of rust. Pits where needle bearings run can be okay as long as you can’t catch a fingernail in them or if they’re not across more than half the width of the surface. It WILL make for a noisier engine, though.

Getting a machinist to do anything around here can be absurdly expensive. I just had to pay $80 to have two slots put in a shaft for a pair of 3/4" woodruff keys. He is the only guy on Cape Cod that would even DO it.

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What engine is this? Can you post some pictures? I guess a lot depends on how much you will be using the engine afterwards as well…
                  I agree with Bill, plain bearing/bushings are less effected than roller/needle surfaces. I would be hesitant to trust just any machinist to do crank repairs, look for a replacement crank if needed.

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

From the Johnson 3rd Edition manual…..

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

green-thumbs
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That looks like a pretty heavy duty holding device.
                      If that base is a slab of solid metal it might not be very portable
                      Thanks for the photo and instructions.
                      Louis

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.