Re: Johnson RDE-17 throttle cam follower assembly

Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson RDE-17 throttle cam follower assembly Re: Johnson RDE-17 throttle cam follower assembly

outbdnut2

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
Replies: 1705
Topics: 91
quote NJ-boatbuilder57:

This “attachment” has always left me scratching my head: Are there people out there who are dumb enough to try to pull-start an already-running engine?

This thing just seems like an “ingenious solution to a non-existent problem”, no? What am I missing?

If the engine , say , runs out of gas or stops for some other reason with the throttle up, you get people who forget to retard the throttle before starting the next time. You also get those who, if it doesn’t start, give it more throttle to help get it going – like flooring the gas pedal while cranking a car. You also can get a little kid pushing up the throttle while it’s not running……and then there are just plain idiots out there…..If it starts at full throttle, in gear, and some stand up to pull over these 25 HP and larger motors, the person falls out of the boat when it starts and takes off unexpectedly..

Of course all these things have to happen while forgetting to shift back to neutral before starting. These old motors will start in gear. Electric start is protected from starting with an advanced throttle by a mercury switch.

Dave