Home Forum Ask A Member KG7H wont idle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    brandon-gotte-d1
    Participant

1st mercury I messed with. Cant get it to idle, runs fairly good above start position. Is it possible reed problems? Maybe jet to big? idle adjustment screw doesn’t change for me. Started at 1 1/2 turn went both ways. Just wont idle. Plugs are old champion K-3 with center pin ground electrode. Good blue spark

gofastgramps
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

If it is really a KG7H it wasn’t designed to idle. It should have a full butterfly so it will stall at idle position. This was designed as a race motor.
        gary

fmanracer
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi, I’m with Gary on the possible answer. If the motor has a full butterfly that means the butterfly is one that is the exact shape of the throat of the carburetor and when closed seals off the intake air, thus the engine dies. Stock butterflies have a flat usually on the bottom side of the butterfly which lets in some air to mix with the idle mix fuel. Look inside the carb at the butterfly to see what you have.

John Schubert
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Plus, remember it has a light weight flywheel with a Bendix ignition so very little inertia at idle speeds. Yes, it will stop!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.