'57 Golden Javelin - Cowl question

Outboard Related Only
NJ-boatbuilder57

'57 Golden Javelin - Cowl question

Postby NJ-boatbuilder57 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:09 pm

I got my chrome work back today, and it looks great! Reassembling the cowl, I ran into a question...

Item #5 in the screen shot below: what is it? what does it do?

When I got this head, it was installed under the latch screws, as shown here....but I don't think that's right, as it's not serving any function as far as I can tell.

Someone told me that the strap's purpose is to prevent the door from slamming down into the engine's steering bracket, however a.) that's not how this was installed on my engine and b.) if that really is the purpose, where & how does it attach to the door & cowling?

Many thanks.

Almost forgot.......here's the re-chromed parts:

oldcollector

Re: '57 Golden Javelin - Cowl question

Postby oldcollector » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:02 pm

If you look closely at the face plate where the fuel mixer knobs are sticking thru,in the upper right hand corner you will see a small oval slot in the plate. One end of the strap goes on one of the screws with a washer,that holds one of the clips on the front door. the other end of the strap gets a wire clip that fits into the oval slot in the face plate. The function being to keep the cover plate from flopping down on the front handle

Chris_P

Re: '57 Golden Javelin - Cowl question

Postby Chris_P » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:13 pm

If you don't figure it out let me know I can go down and take a picture of it. I have a few 57 Javelins in the basement.

Return to “Ask A Member”