Re: 1957 Evinrude 18HP will not start – UPDATE

Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude 18HP will not start Re: 1957 Evinrude 18HP will not start – UPDATE

mistermusky

Replies: 7
Topics: 1

OK – here’s the latest.
I took the carb off and discovered the the float pin is definitely IN THERE!
So, I am not insane. I just thought I was. 🙂 The only thing I can think of is that there was a spare in the carb kit. This is my first outboard, so I don’t have any engine parts laying around. All’s well that ends well.

Anyway, on to the mag plate. Just to be 100% sure I removed the coils from the plate to test them.
Here’s where I need your help.

Using a digital multimeter I got continuity when I touched each wire on the top coil. When I touched black wire and plug wire spike I got 7.11
also the same when I touched green wire to spike

On the bottom coil I got continuity when I touch the wires. Black wire to spike is 10.51 The green wire to spike is 10.48
So what do these readings tell you?

Fleetwin:
While the coils were out, I tested both spark plug wires for continuity and got it on both. Wires are where they should be. However, I did note that the end of the wire isn’t really sticking out that much. That would make me think that the wire is not all the way on the spike. Do you think that might be a problem?

As far as the points go – one set is new. I had to replace it because I stripped out the screw on the terminal. The other set was on the motor when I bought it. So how do I test them? Do I need to put the coils back on?

And what about the condenser? One lead on the wire and the other to ground?
I want to make sure all the components are good before I put it back together