Home Forum Ask A Member RDE-17 Johnson tuning issues Re: RDE-17 Johnson tuning issues

Buccaneer
Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Dave, I hope it’s only carb related. I’ve been gone most of the day, so only thing torn
    apart is the flywheel. Tomorrow, I could put it back on and experiment some more.
    Just for kicks, I’ll disable the over speed cut out.
    Regarding the pressure tank, it seemed to build up plenty of pressure when
    I loosened the cap after running it, and the tank worked good last week
    on another motor.
    Thanks for the ideas, and I’ll get back to ya’ll after the next go-around!

quote outbdnut2:

I ran your video again, and I think your problem is carb-related because you had a few seconds of smooth running before it coughed and quit. First, I’d back down to a slower idle and see if you can get it to run smooth by adjusting the idle needle. Next thing I’d try is setting the high speed needle richer in 1/8 or 1/16th turn steps. If you do this and find a spot where it doesn’t die at throttle setting somewhere above slow idle, even though it may cough, then I’d put in on a boat and further adjust the high speed needle. You will also find that changing the idle needle a bit may mean readjusting the high speed needle because quite a bit of gas is sucked through the low speed passage when running at high speeds.
    I don’t think it’s reeds because it ran smooth for a few seconds.

You may also see if it stays running with the choke part way on – this also tells you the high speed knob needs to go richer.
    Don’t ever expect really smooth running just above idle speed, especially with a cold motor – it’s the way all the RDs I’ve had are – you can get smooth running a bit above idle by turning the idle needle richer, but then it probably won’t slow idle good when warmed up.

Another thought – I’m wondering if your tank is getting pressurized enough to keep the carb full? Will it stay running if you keep pumping the tank primer?
    Dave

Prepare to be boarded!