Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 Evinrude 5.5 Golden Jubilee

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    snaggerbob
    Participant

I have this 1959 Evinrude 5.5 that is in super condition. I have a couple of questions about it. When I fire it up in a barrel it seems to take 30 seconds or so before I see any water discharge. Does this indicate the water pump impeller is weak? I also changed the lower unit oil and was going to replace the gasket for the drain plugs. The Sierra gaskets are made out of some kind of plastic material. Will this seal good enough? Last question, what is the proper procedure for disconnecting the fuel lines when your done using the motor? I always seem to get gas on either the tank or dripping out of the connector on the outboard. Thanks in advance.

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Very nice little motor. I have one in quite nice condition as well. How deep is the water in your barrel? It should be several inches above the A/V plate, otherwise it may take a long time to prime and start pumping. This should be avoided if possible. This motor is the first year for a thermostat, and that seems to slow down the appearance of water flowing out the outlet a little also. If you don’t know the history of the motor and when the impeller was changed, I would advise changing it to avoid the possibility of the old impeller breaking apart and pieces clogging up the cooling system. Removing those chunks from some unknown place inside the motor is no fun. Ask me how I know. 😕

The plastic drain plug gaskets work nicely in my experience. They are a lot easier to replace than the old fiber ones that often have to be picked apart to remove them.

The proper procedure for removing the fuel line is to loosen the cap on the tank to release the line pressure, then remove the line from the motor. I usually try to release the cap and run the carburetor empty before I pull the fuel line from the motor as well. There is often still some fuel that drips from the fitting even if that procedure is followed. I usually have a paper towel or rag of sorts handy to soak that small amount up. Thats especially important if you do what I often do and launch by hand from a shore. I remove the motor in the water before I drag the boat out since its a lot easier to move the boat without the extra weight of the motor on the transom.

There may be others with other opinions or input as well. I hope that helps.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is a video of my Jubilee Fisherman on the lake a few weeks ago. I had just gone thru it and replaced the oil line to the top main that had broken as well as inspected the water pump and replaced the lower crankshaft seals.

https://youtu.be/LCyznZPQZ2I

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

snaggerbob
          Participant

Thanks Ben. Watched your video, what a sweet motor. Looks like it could be the twin to mine. I was disconnecting the line as you described but wasn’t sure the small amount of gas was normal. I’ll just have to remember to have a rag handy. What do you think the value is on a motor in great condition? One more question, fuel to oil ratio with synthetics?

frankr
            Participant

US Member

snagger, how old is the impeller? If the motor is in super condition, the impeller is probably very old and is sure to fail. Good practice and common sense says replace an old one before you burn up the motor, not after when it is too late. Unless you know for sure that it has been replaced within the last couple of years.

The oil question war will never end. Original spec was 1 qt to a 4 gallon tank (16:1). Under no circumstances leaner than 24:1.

PugetSoundBoater
              Participant

16 :1 is what would be the best to use,synthetic or regular oil.
                Yet another very nice motor you have there Fisherman6 !

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                Robbie Robertson

Doug Wilson
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The 59s Johnson and Evinrude have a thermostat in them that is why it takes a short time to get water out unless someone removed it. If you do not know when it was replaced definitely replace the impeller. You will need a power head gasket because it has to come off to get to the shift shaft so the lower unit can be removed. Not hard to do just will need a gasket. My 5.5 Johnson does not look great but always starts, usually on the first pull even if it sets for a year.
                  Doug

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
                  turned off?

snaggerbob
                  Participant

I’ve had the motor several years and never changed the impeller so not sure of it’s age. If I don’t sell it soon I will change it this off season. Thanks for all the advice, I sure don’t want to kill the motor.

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The oil ratio debate is indeed an ongoing and never ending one. These 5.5hp and their 7.5hp cousins are recommended to run on 16:1 as has already been stated. The synthetics and even the conventional TCW3 oils are much better than the SAE30 non detergent oil was when these motors were new. I like to use Synthetics because most of them are biodegradeable and better for the fish and the environment. I still typically run these on 16:1 mix, though I have run them in 24:1 full synthetic without issue. There are some folks that run all their classics and antiques on around a 32:1 mix and have for many years again without issue. I guess I’m not quite that brave yet. I will not personally recommend straying from the original specs for mix ratio, but I have done it on occasion with fully synthetic oil.

If you have had your motor for several years and never changed the impeller since you have owned it, it’s time.

As for value, this is going to sound like a cop-out, but it’s worth what someone will pay. It is subject to geographic location, availability, and someone’s desire to have a particular motor. I own 6 Evinrude Golden Jubilee motors. Three of them are very nice, one is very nice on the outside, but got moused on the inside so it needs some attention under the hood. One is slightly above average, and one is average or slightly below. So far I have never paid over $200 for any of them, but have or will put that or more into most of them after purchase. I see nice old motors sell for much more than that quite often, but I’m cheap and selective… in that order. As my collection grows I seem to become more of both… in the opposite order.

Ones that are in super nice original cosmetic condition can and often do command considerably more money as condition improves. I saw a superb example of a 1959 Evinrude Golden Jubilee 10hp Sportwin sell for $400 at a meet this year. I considered buying it myself and I already had 2 others at the time. That one looked almost like it just came out of the crate.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

I have a spare twin hose connector with a short hose connecting the two nipples. Clipping it on the motor in place of the fuel tank will blow the fuel in the lines through the carburetor. This way there is nothing to leak out. The down side, there is very little oil in the motor for long term storage. Good fogging coil must be used if you are not going to use them for a while. . . 😀

EDIT – with the list price on connectors now $75, you might want to chain it to the motor – 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.