Stuck Prop?

Home Forum Ask A Member Stuck Prop?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)

• kevinrude

Replies: 280
    Topics: 79

Well, I’ve never had this happen before.

Working on a 3HP 1947/48 MW motor. Removed the cotter pin and the prop nut, but the propeller won’t come off! It is stuck. The prop is engaged with the gears, so the only thing I can figure is that the shear pin is bent or something and, as a result, has wedged itself onto the prop. Would anything else cause it to be stuck like this? I can’t see any other bolts or screws holding the prop on and the parts diagram I have doesn’t show any either.

I don’t want to put any more pressure on the prop than I already have trying to remove it for fear it will break. So, what are my options here? Tapping around the prop hub with a mallet? Heating it up with a torch to see what happens? I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks!

outbdnut2

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

You could have a rusty propshaft – try soaking in penetrating oil. Then keep on tapping with a rubber mallot. It may take a few days of soaking.
    Dave

squierka39

Replies: 610
    Topics: 34

I had the same thing happen with a champion. On mine it ended up being dried up oil and goo sticking it on like glue. I soaked it for months then made a puller for it, put some pressure on it and heated it. It finally popped off. Cleaned up the dried and no burnt oil and both prop and shaft are fine.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

It is being held on by rust and corrosion. Heat will help by expanding the aluminum. One problem with that is the prop is mostly hollow, so you are heating the outer part without effectively getting it hot around the center where is is actually stuck to the shaft. But it’s still your best hope.

Kevin, you mentioned you have never seen this happen before. With all respect, I gotta say you must have lived a protected life (far away from salt water too).

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

Or you haven’t worked on a Merc! I can remember my first few stuck props on a steel shaft. Terrible compared to dealing with an OMC.

On 2 or 3 Mercs I have had to cut the blade off in pieces.

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

Is this your model ? . . . 😕

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member

That 132092 shear pin is also used on the Evinrude Sportsman and Sportwin . . . 🙂

kevinrude

quote Garry in Tampa:

Is this your model ? . . . 😕

Yep, that’s the one!

kevinrude

quote FrankR:

It is being held on by rust and corrosion. Heat will help by expanding the aluminum. One problem with that is the prop is mostly hollow, so you are heating the outer part without effectively getting it hot around the center where is is actually stuck to the shaft. But it’s still your best hope.

Kevin, you mentioned you have never seen this happen before. With all respect, I gotta say you must have lived a protected life (far away from salt water too).

Yeah, the only time we see salt water in Michigan is when grandma gets sick of looking at the leeches in the pickle jar and wants them deceased!

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member

You may as well have the rest . . . 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.