Flywheel, crankshaft

Outboard Related Only
alanp

Re: Flywheel, crankshaft

Postby alanp » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:31 pm

Thanks guys. The o.d. was .020 larger on top I ran a chaser down it and the threads cleaned up nicely. I still don’t have the flywheel off. I tried both styles of pullers. I am gun shy now. Afraid to crank on the puller to much even with the flywheel nut in. Never had one stubborn like this, normally they pop right off.

Dave Bernard

Postby Dave Bernard » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:25 pm

make the nut flush and don't worry tighten and let stand over night if needed then repeat as needed.

Dave Bernard

Postby Dave Bernard » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:26 pm

make the nut flush and don't worry tighten and let stand over night if needed then repeat as needed.

Chris_P

Postby Chris_P » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:31 pm

I agree with Dave.

Put the nut on flush with top of crank.

Install puller. Use grade 8 bolts. Install them all evenly into the flywheel. Ensure puller is level before cranking on center bolt. Tighten her down. Pull UP on the flywheel , and give puller bolt a rap. Not a sledge hammer type smash, just a rap with your hammer. I like the OEM puller as it has a handle to hold flywheel from turning while I pull on wrench on center bolt. Sometimes, I have had to add a bar to the wrench to give me more pulling torque to make her pop. If all is installed properly, should pop right off.

Return to “Ask A Member”