Home Forum Ask A Member Help desperately needed with 1950 Chris Craft Challenger Re: Help desperately needed with 1950 Chris Craft Challenger

joemallon
Participant

Ok, Thank you for your advice! I recently heard back from Lee Holland about my request for parts so I will have to add the grommet to the list and remove the power head before I start re-assembling it. And to answer your question, yes, the water tube was utterly stuck in the lower unit when I pulled it off. This engine is helping me learn ALOT about these old motors. It was frozen up on the lower cylinder when I found it and I have not had the head off after getting it unstuck to inspect the cylinder walls or the piston. I suppose I should just plan to completely tear it down and completely rebuild it at this point, I had just been trying to avoid it as it seems that things like head gaskets and such are impossible to find. Also, does anybody here know if this L/U is supposed to get oil or grease once I get it all back together???

I will keep you posted as the project progresses as it doesnt seem that there are many threads on here about rebuilding these old Chris Craft Challengers.

Thanks again,
    Joe